Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Snack Food Box Canvas


This is a project that I found on YouTube.  It's a "cereal box canvas" submitted by Tim Coffey.  I've attached the original video below.  To get the complete process you'll need to view all three episodes of this tutorial. 

The canvas that I created above was not a cereal box, but a snack food box.  What you are seeing is the left side, front and right sides.  I chose it for it's slender size.  I loved this project for it's inventive use of something that would ordinarily find it's way into a land fill. 

The process is really very simple.  Begin by stringing wire through the back for hanging.  Having secured your wire seal the ends with masking tape.  Once the box is sealed cover it entirely with a layer of black acrylic paint.  Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.  Once it's dry cover the box again with gesso.  I used white acrylic paint in place of the gesso.  Again you will need to allow the box to dry thoroughly. 

In his video tutorial Tim used stencils that he created and applied them to the box.  Since this was a experiment for me I chose to draw freehand the images that I used.  With a number 2B drawing pencil I simply sketched very lightly the images.  With the images in place on the front and sides of the box I used a hot glue gun to trace over the drawn lines.  Once the glue was dry I began applying layers of paint. There was really no plan in place.  Remember that this was an experiment.  I let myself play and have fun with the paints.  The final touch was to apply copper colored acrylic with a dry brush. 

I had a great time trying out this technique and look forward to trying it again.  The hot glue was a bit challenging in terms of flow, but I am sure that with enough practice some truly beautiful and unique paintings can be created.  Check out Tim's video tutorial's and get inspired.  I was!






No comments:

Post a Comment