Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wooden Box


Ever since I saw the movie "Nights in Rodanthe" I've wanted to make a wooden box. 
Well, here is my first attempt at wood working. 

I AM HOOKED!  I love it! 

For this box I used four types of wood, mahogany, oak, purple heart and poplar.  This project required major power tools.  Very intimidating!  However, with the help of my good friend Tony, I was able to overcome my fear and very carefully proceed.  The box measures 4 1/2" X 6 1/2" and is 3 1/4" deep. 
The bottom panel is poplar and the sides are oak.  Bottom and side panels were cut to size and glued together, using a standard wood glue.  The top panel was made by cutting strips of purple heart and poplar that measured 1" X  1/8".  Then we cut strips of oak that measured 1/4" by 1", and mahogany strips that measured 1" X 3/4".  These strips were glued together to create the pattern.  They were held together with a clamp until completely dried.  I chose to wait 24 hours for the drying time.  The top was then cut to fit snugly on the box.  

What a beautiful box in which to hold all my hopes and dreams, or loose change.  Whatever!

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Eleanor. Superb lid, great box. The first of many perhaps!

    ReplyDelete